Monday, August 4, 2008

Miscellaneous thoughts

I've been on a tear recently where I cannot stand mean people. Gratuitous or otherwise. I was in a meeting last week where being mean was practically a requirement. "Be afraid of so-and-so because they will rip you up one side and down the other". Nice. Mean people really do suck. And one last thing, just remember if you are mean to one of your suppliers, while they have to do business with you, none of their family or friends do. Just ask my family how many airlines they are forbidden to fly on principal alone! I will add that Im a bit of a hypocrite. If you are rude to me, then I'll be mean or ignore you. Funny how that works.



So contract is up on my cell phone (have had the same phone for almost 4 years). Old Black has been a handy friend, but he no longer can get software updates, is no longer supported by the company that sold him and basically reboots for no reason whatsoever (maybe related to the time I dropped him into a pit of "water" in India). So, time to get a new one. I realize AT&T has a lot going on now so Im ready to make a deal. I use the online feature to ask a simple question about moving my phone number now from my current provider to AT&T.



The online lady (says her name is Leslie) in the chat box says "I can help you with that...what phone features can I help you with?".


Me: Ummmmm...yah. None actually. Can you help me with my number issue first as that's a deciding factor"


online lady: "certainly sir. Do you have a specific phone model you are interested in?"

Me: Welllll, I've already picked that out. I just need a hand with my phone number question so I can decide what I'll do.

online lady: "Ok sir. Can I offer you a special calling plan?"

Me: ...Click...(sound of me closing the chat box)



End of story - I now have a new phone with the same provider. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep life simple.


A lot of people have asked me if I'm interested in flying on the new A380. Emirates Airlines out of the UAE has one that goes between Dubai and JFK. First class even has a shower, and there is a lounge with a sofa at the back of the business class cabin. My answer is that while all that's very cool, I think I'll wait before I go on it. There are towns in Texas smaller than what this plane holds and with 700 people on the same plane there's bound to be a wierdo in there some place. Yah, I think I'll wait.

Does anyone else think word validators on web sites are hard to read??? I never get them right on the first try..or second...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't stand it when people ate mean. I heard a guy yelling "GD" at his son on the phone, wow! I thought he was Alec Baldwin for a second. As for AT&T, one word and it starts with "i"

Holly, Ben, and Reid said...

Props to you for starting a blog...I've added you to my google reader...=)